YOU DID IT!
The voice of Mental Health Professionals was heard and the policy of separating children from their parents at our borders was stopped!
President Trump yielded to incredible political pressure and signed an Executive Order stopping the hideous policy of ripping children away from their parents. That political pressure came in part from the community of Mental Health Professionals and their supporters who came forward and signed our petition. As of the close of the petition drive on the morning of 6/22/18 we had gathered 21,471 signatures from 13,013 Mental Health Professionals, 229 organizations, and another 8,229 citizen supporters.
Each person who completed the signing process resulted in an email of protest going directly to Homeland Security Secretary Nielson, and a blizzard of protest traffic on Facebook and Twitter.
In the next few days our petition letter and the list of names of everyone who signed-on will be delivered to the following Federal officials:
- The President of the United States, Donald Trump,
- The United States Attorney General, Jefferson B. Sessions,
- The United States Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen Nielsen,
- The Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Paul Ryan,
- The Majority Leader of the United States Senate, Mitch McConnell,
- The Minority Leader of the United States Senate, Chuck Schumer,
- The Majority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, Kevin McCarthy, and
- The Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi.
Thank you for your incredible support:
Dr. Dana L. Sinopoli, Psy.D. – Author of the petition letter
William J. Clark – President, Child’s World America – Petition Host
Our Work Is Not Over:
The more than 2,000 children that have been forcefully separated now need to be re-united with their families. Children and their parents are still being detained and the experience is still fraught with risk of trauma. We will be monitoring the situation and if necessary will launch further petition drives to mobilize our community in the best interest of children
If you would like to follow the work of Child’s World America and receive our e-newsletter that covers the issues of child well-being including Childhood Trauma and the Children of Immigration, please sign up here. We will alert you in the event of the need to mobilize our community in support of further petitions.